I know that the twins' grandparents think I do this blog for them, but I really do it for Emily and Elson. It's a great place for me to document the wonders of their childhood, and I hope that one day they go through it and realize how deeply I love them. That being said....there are always things I want to say to each of them, but it just doesn't seem like the right thing/place/time to say them (after all they're only two).
We all know that mother/daughter relationships can be difficult and at times uncomfortably close. I just love Emily so much that my eyes swell with tears at the thought of her. Boys are different. I love Elson equally, but in a "he's my little boy" sort of way. He truly has my heart. But I've never been a boy. I can't relate to a lot of things he goes through. That is why I'm so proud that he has such a wonderful dad to help him navigate life.
All that being said, here are some things that I want my sweet little girl to know as she navigates life as a female (I know this may seem sappy, but I'm like that).....
1. Give people the benefit of the doubt. It's a gift for them and you.
2. Mean girls don't go away after high school. Learn how to deal with them (I will help you).
3. Your Daddy was the first man to love you. There will undoubtedly be others, but no one will love you like he does. You are lucky to have him.
4. You can fall in love with anyone, so don't date inappropriate people.
5. Life is full of hills and valleys. Enjoy the hills and lean on those that love you in the valleys.
6. You are stronger, smarter, and braver than you know.
7. There is nothing less attractive than a drunk girl. If you decide to drink, be careful when, where, and how much you consume.
8. Go to God first with all your worries. Ask, seek, and knock!!
9. Wash your face every night.
10. Red beans and rice or gumbo are always crowd pleasers.
11. Be the bigger person. No one remembers who said "I'm sorry" first. They just remember it's better.
12. I will inevitably and unintentionally hurt your feelings. Come to me with it and let me make it up to you.
13. The point of a spouse is to have someone to share life with. Pick wisely.
14. You are beautiful. Don't ever let anyone or anything make you feel differently.
15. I want to be your friend, but I would rather be your mother.
16. Travel as much as you can.
17. Having good girlfriends can get you through a lot in life. The best way to have good girlfriends is to be a good girlfriend.
18. Nothing you do or say will make me love you any less or any more. I love you unconditionally just because you are you.
19. Being a twin is special. Be kind to your brother, he understands you like no one else ever will.
20. You will never be too old to need your Momma.
I'm sure there will be more as the years go on, but that's all I have for now. I love you my Emmy girl!!!